Thursday, April 1, 2010

How To Use Stitchin Crochet with... Adobe Illustrator

This is the first tutorial using StitchinCrochet, the crochet symbol font I designed last year.  I realized after many requests that a "how to" would be nice to share with you all.  So, without further ado...

Our example pattern:


Preparatory steps and prerequisites for this tutorial: download/install/purchase font (you can do it here), have adobe illustrator, basic knowledge and skills within Illustrator.  Next, open a new file, type the necessary symbols using stitchincrochet as your font (I used: 0O&1@23K>), then Menu>View>Show Grid...

Video Tutorial here:
Step 1: Setting up your workspace and starting with a center chain stitches and slip stitch
























Step 2: Arraying the second row (2 single crochet stitches into each chain stitch)

Stay tuned for the final steps in preparing your crochet star pattern!

Step 3 can be found here.

Final steps can be found here.




6 comments:

LittleBerry said...

Excellent. I look forward to the next video.

Cara Louise said...

Adri- I am so thankful that you have these instructions here... and I am hoping that your font will also work in other 'illustrator' programs. I run a linux based operating system and have Xara Xtreme as my vector graphics program.

adriprints said...

Oh, I hope it works out for you! I know others have tried with success using Inkscape (another open source vector graphics program). Let me know how it goes. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Adri! Just wondered, have you created this program as a CD Rom?

adriprints said...

Nope. Adobe Illustrator is software from the Adobe corporation, and I just hold a license. As for the font shown here (StitchinCrochet), it's available via MyFonts.com. A new and improved selection of glyphs is also available via MyFonts.com here: http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/adriprints/stitchin-crochet-pro/

Debbie said...

Hi Adri, love your tutorial. I've downloaded the crochet fonts and I've been able to follow the tutorial step by step quite easily. It's fun and saves so much time. Only I can't seem to find the slipstitch font. Maybe I am looking with my nose? It's not a big problem cause I can design one myself.


Million Thanks, Debbie from Amsterdam