Monday, July 30, 2012

Block of the Month: July, Dresden Plates

I've had a bit of a hiatus from the world of quilting, and I almost missed making the Block of the Month for July!  Luckily, I was able to scrap together the blades for these Dresden blocks this afternoon.  I was surprised to see how efficiently a Dresden plate can use fabric.  The fabric eater here was definitely the doubling of the circles to ease the turning of the 1/4" seams.



The first plate uses modern styling, the fabric is a blend of scraps: Amy Butler, Tula Pink, and some owl fabric from Ribas y Casals in Spain.




The second plate is a traditional Dresden plate again with a motley crew of scraps, but because this plate required 4" length I as able to use the red from the last block.  I'm really happy with this traditional plate.  I like the contrast between the red and blue.  These are some cheery additions to the quilt.  I can't wait to see how it all comes together!

No comments: